This figure appears to have been copied from an unidentified illuminated manuscript. The Birmingham collection holds a number of drawings, on tracing paper, copied from medieval manuscripts. They are likely to have been made around the same time, possibly in the 1850s, from works held at the British Museum in the nineteenth century and now in the British Library (see Betty Elzea, Frederick Sandys 1829-1904: A Catalogue Raisonné, p. 141). In his unpublished catalogue of Sandys drawings at Birmingham Jerome Peat links this drawing with two other sheets of drawings in the collection (see also 1906P1027 and 1906P1035). The colour of both the pigments used and the paper suggest that they were copied at the same time.