One of some forty-five wood engravings designed by Burne-Jones and mostly cut by William Morris illustrating the 'Cupid and Psyche' story for a lavish publication of William Morris' 'The Earthly Paradise'. Trial proofs at the Chiswick Press, were considered unsuccessful as a union of text and image, and the project was abandoned.
It was not until the late 1880s that any sets of proofs were made; Sir Sydney Cockerell noted that eight sets were printed under the direction of Emery Walker, but the total number of sets is unclear. Birmingham's set where given by Morris to the Birmingham architect John Henry Chamberlain (1831-83). The illustrations and the poem were finally printed in 1973 with an introduction by A.R. Duffy.