Museums Home BMAGiC Home Search Browse BMAGiC Help About BMAGiC Contact Us
           

View of Perry Barr Hall - in Volume of Lithographs

View main imageView larger image
Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery

Additional Images

Click on each image below to view at full size:
View image 2 

Basic Information

Accession Number:1930V1104.2.1
Collection:Topographical Views
Date:1838 - 1838

Maker Information

Artist:Charles Walter Radclyffe - View biography for Charles Walter Radclyffe
Publisher:Wrightson & Webb - View history

Notes

Perry Hall was acquired by Sir Henry Gough of Oldfallings near Wolverhampton in 1669 and continued as the main residence of the family until 1923 when the estate was sold. The hall itself, which occupied the Northern end of a medieval moated site, bore the date 1576, although substantial additions and modifications had been made to it in 1788 and, by the architect S S Teulon, in the late 1840's. A two day scale of Perry's contents in March 1928 included parts of the structure itself, such as '1000 Stone Mullion & other windows', '120 Oak & Pine Doors' and '40 Marble & Oak Mantelpieces'. It was demolished shortly afterwards but the moat remains as a boating pool in Perry Hall Park. In 1911 Perry, as part of the parish of Handsworth, was included within the City of Birmingham

Presented by Sir Richard Paget Bt, 1930.

Further Information

Production Period:19th century
Medium:Lithograph on paper, in bound volume.
Material(s):Linen
Place of Origin:Birmingham, England

Associated Places

Dimensions

Height:422 mm
Width:577 mm