Museums Home BMAGiC Home Search Browse BMAGiC Help About BMAGiC Contact Us
           

Bowl

View main imageView larger image
Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery

Additional Images

Click on each image below to view at full size:
View image 2 View image 3 

Basic Information

Accession Number:1940M452
Collection:Applied Art - Glass
Date:1932 - 1932

Maker Information

Manufacturer:Orrefors - View history

Notes

The Orrefors glassworks was founded in 1898, initially they produced window glass, jars, bottles and other household wares. They began to produce decorative glass in 1913 when Johan Ekman bought the company. Orrefors employed the artist Simon Gate in 1916, followed by Edward Hald in 1917. Their experimental work resulted in new techniques for the production of art glass. Orrefors achieved international status in the 1920s when they were awarded a Grand Prix medal at the 1925 Paris Exposition Universalle.

Bequeathed by Mrs A E Plowright.

Further Information

Production Period:20th century
Medium:Mould blown, engraved in intaglio.
Material(s):Lead glass
Place of Origin:Sweden

Dimensions

Height:7.2 cm
Width:19.2 cm
Depth:15.4 cm