Museums Home BMAGiC Home Search Browse BMAGiC Help About BMAGiC Contact Us
           

Engraving - Birmingham from the South

View main imageView larger image
Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery

Additional Images

Click on each image below to view at full size:
View image 2 View image 3 

Basic Information

Accession Number:1965V221.8
Collection:Topographical Views
Date:1835c - 1875 c

Maker Information

After:S T Davis - View biography for S T Davis
Engraver:T A Prior - View biography for T A Prior

Notes

This nineteenth century view of Birmingham from the south was based on an original sketch by S T Davis. It shows the proliferation of smoking chimneys, indicating the density of manufactories and workshops in the town. The town hall, based on the Roman temple of Castor and Pollux, occupies a position of prominence on the horizon. To its right is the spire of old Christ Church, the baroque tower of St Philip's, the nave of which is obscured by King Edward's grammar school. Closer to the foreground, to the right, is St Martin's church.

Presented by R L Lloyd.

Further Information

Production Period:19th century
Medium:Engraving on paper.
Material(s):Printed paper

Associated Places

Dimensions

Height:179 mm
Width:270 mm