View larger image
© Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery
Click on each image below to view at full size:
|Collection:||Coins & Medals|
|Date:||1898 c - 1898 c|
Handsworth Park (given the official title of Handsworth Victoria Park) was opened on 20th June 1888. The cost of the land, staffing it and laying it out with ornamental ponds, public lavatories, a cricket pitch and pavilion etc. was borne by the local people of Handsworth, which was then independent of Birmingham. So popular was the park that within a decade it was extended to include the former glebe lands of St. Mary's Church alongside Hamstead Road. This medal commemorates the opening of this extension by the new Handsworth Urban District Council in March 1898.
|Purchased from Mrs F Mohr.|