View larger image
© Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery
There are no additional images for this object.
|Date:||1872 c - 1872 c|
|Artist:||Allen Edward Everitt - View biography for Allen Edward Everitt|
The first stone church building was erected on the site of St Mary's church, Handsworth, around 1160. It was a small and austere Norman structure, occupying about half of the present south aisle. The lower stages of the sandstone tower at the original church's east end are amongst the few surviving Norman features.The church has undergone successive phases of enlargement, reconstruction and restoration. This watercolour shows the north wall of the Wyrley Chapel, prior to the restoration of 1873.
|Transferred from Birmingham Reference Library.|