View larger image
© Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery
Click on each image below to view at full size:
|Collection:||Coins & Medals|
|Date:||1922 - 1922|
|Maker:||Allen & Moore - View history|
The first headmistress for King Edward's VI School for Girls was appointed in the summer of 1883 and the first entrance examination for pupils was in July of that year, with 150 girls chosen to start in the autumn term. In the early part of the following century, and particularly after the appointment of Miss Jaques in 1917, gymnastics began to feature more prominently in the school curriculum. By the 1920's an annual gymnastics competition had been organised between the various forms in the school.
This medal, awarded to Dora G Cope was for achievement in gymnastics and commemorates the foundation of the original King Edward's Free Grammar School in 1552.
|Presented by Mrs Anne Hull Grundy.|