View larger image
© Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery
There are no additional images for this object.
|Collection:||Applied Art - Pottery|
|Date:||1889 - 1898|
|Manufacturer:||William De Morgan (& Co) - View history|
|Painter:||James Hersey - View biography for James Hersey|
William De Morgan (1839-1917) had no formal training as a potter; his career in this field developed from a brief period as a painter of stained glass which he abandoned in 1872 under the influence of an inheritance, and his friend William Morris.De Morgan set up a small workshop at his house in Chelsea where he was able to exercise his considerable ability as a designer of decoration for pottery, with experiments into the chemistry of ceramic decoration and the construction of kilns and other equipment. he continued to pursue these interests when the factory moved to Merton Abbey, near London (1882-1888) and Fulham (1888-1898).This vase was decorated by James Hersey to a design by De Morgan. It more recently formed part of the Alan Green collection of De Morgan wares, covering the whole thirty years of production, offered for sale to Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery in 1981.
|Presented by the Friends of Birmingham Msueums and Art Gallery with assitance from the MGC/VandA Purchased Grant Fund.|
|Production Period:||19th Century|
|School/Style:||William de Morgan|
|Medium:||Earthenware with polychrome enamels and white slip.|
|Place of Origin:||London, England|