View larger image
© Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery
Click on each image below to view at full size:
|Collection:||Applied Art - Pottery|
|Date:||1889 - 1898|
|Manufacturer:||William De Morgan (& Co) - View history|
De Morgan had no formal training as a potter; his career in this field developed from a brief period as a painter of stained glass which he abandoned in 1872 under the influence of an inheritance and his friend William Morris.De Morgan set up a small workshop at his house in Chelsea where he was able to exercise his considerable ability as a designer of decoration for pottery with experiments into the chemistry of ceramic decoration and the construction of kilns and other equipment. He continued to pursue these interests when the factory moved to Merton Abbey, near London (1882-1888) and Fulham (1888-1898).
|Presented by the Friends of Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery with a 50% grant-in-aid from the Victoria and Albert Museum Purchase Grant Fund, 1981.|