Museums Home BMAGiC Home Search Browse BMAGiC Help About BMAGiC Contact Us
           

Clock - Sidereal Clock

View main imageView larger image
Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery

Additional Images

Click on each image below to view at full size:
View image 2 View image 3 View image 4 View image 5 

Basic Information

Accession Number:1987M70.1
Collection:Applied Art - Metalwork
Date:1771 - 1772

Maker Information

Horologist:John Whitehurst - View biography for John Whitehurst
Manufacturer:Boulton & Fothergill - View history
Sculptor:John Flaxman - View biography for John Flaxman

Notes

The partnership between Matthew Boulton and John Fothergill began in 1762. They created a number of different products at the Soho Manufactory but they were best known for their ormolu mounts. Boulton received patronage from many members of the gentry and nobility as well as from the Queen and the Royal family. In 1776 Boulton sent the clock to St Petersburg, to the Empress Catherine. Unimpressed by its accuracy, the Court thought such an expensive clock ought at least to play tunes!

Accepted by HM Government in lieu of tax and allocated to Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery, 1987.

Further Information

Production Period:18th Century
School/Style:Neo-classical
Medium:Ormolu, gilt brass, and steel.
Material(s):Steel
Place of Origin:Derby, Derbyshire, England