View larger image
© Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery
There are no additional images for this object.
|Collection:||Applied Art - Silver|
|Date:||1769 - 1770|
|Attributed to:||James Wyatt - View biography for James Wyatt|
|Manufacturer:||Boulton & Fothergill - View history|
This coffee pot is one of very few surviving pieces of Chester hallmarked silver by Boulton & Fothergill. They faced great difficulties in transporting their silver to Chester, the nearest assay office, for hallmarking. Boulton vowed never to go into large scale silverware production until an assay office was opened in Birmingham. After a two year campaign the Birmingham Assay Office opened in 1773.
|Purchased with the assistance of the MGC/VandA Purchase Grant Fund, and the National Art Collections Fund.|
|Production Period:||18th century|
|Medium:||Sterling silver body, with cane handle, and ebonised wood in base.|
|Place of Origin:||Birmingham, England|