Museums Home BMAGiC Home Search Browse BMAGiC Help About BMAGiC Contact Us
           

Engraving - Parish Church, Handsworth - Handsworth Church, Birmingham, The Burial Place of James Watt

View main imageView larger image
Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery

There are no additional images for this object.

Basic Information

Accession Number:1996V148.92
Collection:Topographical Views - Wilkinson Collection

Notes

The first stone church building was erected on the site of St Mary's church, Handsworth, around 1160. It was a small and austere Norman structure, occupying about half of the present south aisle. The lower stages of the sandstone tower at the original church's east end are amongst the few surviving Norman features.The church has undergone successive phases of enlargement, reconstruction and restoration, including the erection of the Watt Chapel which houses a large marble statue of James Watt by Sir Francis Chantrey.

Transferred from Birmingham Reference Library.

Further Information

Production Period:19th century
Medium:Engraving on paper.
Material(s):Printed paper

Associated People

Associated Places

Dimensions

Height:247 mm
Width:165 mm