View larger image
© Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery
There are no additional images for this object.
|Date:||1800 - 1850|
|Engraver:||T Radclyffe - View biography for T Radclyffe|
Rose Hill House stood on the corner of Soho Road and Villa Road, with gardens extending across the present Rose Hill Road. On this same corner was a toll-gate.The 1793 plan of the Piddock Estates shows the house as occupied by Mr Creighton, chief designer at the Boulton and Watt factory. He was a keen amateur astronomer and had an observatory built at the top of the three-storied house.The 1828 Directory (Pigot) shows Thomas Aston as having a boarding school at Rose Hill House, and in the late 1890s, Dr Holdsworth lived there.
|Purchased from David Temperley.|