Museums Home BMAGiC Home Search Browse BMAGiC Help About BMAGiC Contact Us
           

18th Century Proof Cartwheel 2d / Soho Mint, Birmingham

View main imageView larger image
© Birmingham Museums and Art Gallery

Additional Images

Click on each image below to view at full size:
View image 2 

Basic Information

Accession Number:1969N726
Collection:Coins & Medals
Date:1797 - 1797

Maker Information

Engraver:Conrad Heinrich Kuchler - View biography for Conrad Heinrich Kuchler
Manufacturer:Soho Mint - View history
Mint:Soho Mint - View history

Notes

This coin was made in 1797 by Matthew Boulton at his Soho Mint (in Handsworth, Birmingham). It is a proof coin, which means that it was struck from new, carefully polished dies on a specially
prepared blank. In this case the copper blank was gilded before the coin was struck. The reverse design, by Conrad Heinrich Küchler, is the first one to show Britannia holding a trident. Before this she had always held a spear.

Purchased from the executors of C W Peck in 1969 with assistance from the V and A Purchase Grant Fund, Mint Birmingham Ltd (Ralph Heaton and Sons), Imperial Metal Industries (Kynock) Ltd, W A Cadbury Charitable Trust, John Feeney Charitable Trust and Birmingham City Corporation.

Further Information

Reign:King George III
Production Period:Georgian
Material(s):Gilt copper
Denomination:2d - two pence
Currency:England
Place of Origin:Birmingham, Staffordshire, England

Associated People

Dimensions

Diameter:41 mm