Biography for Frank Taylor Lockwood
Lockwood attended Linthwaite Central School, and later studied art at Huddersfield Technical College. On completing his studies he undertook a five-year apprenticeship as a lithographic artist at Netherwood Dalton in Huddersfield.
He was a member of numerous local art societies including the Birmingham Arts Circle, The Watercolour Society, The Easel Club, The Advertising Club and The Bournville Art Club. His paintings have been displayed at many exhibitions throughout the region, including in exhibitions of work by Midland artists at Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery during the 1950's. In 1960, he was elected an associate of the Royal Birmingham Society of Artists.
Art was not only a profession and means of earning a living, it was also Lockwood's form of relaxation and way of life. He was a keen observer of life and as well as painting he kept a regular diary for much of his life. During his lifetime he produced over 300 paintings, mainly watercolours of the Birmingham and Midlands scene, and together with his meticulously kept diaries he has created a unique pictorial and social document of immense interest and value. The First World War (1914-1918) caused a two-year break in Lockwood's career as an artist. Between 1917 and 1919 he was called up to do military service, firstly with the Northumberland Fusiliers and then with the Royal Flying Corps. It was on his return from service that he first moved to Birmingham to start work as an artist at J H Butcher & Co, transfer manufacturers, in Moseley Road. The following year he moved to V Siviter Smith & Co Ltd, in Ludgate Hill. After just over one year with the firm he was made redundant and returned to his native Yorkshire where he set up as a commercial artist.In 1925, Lockwood was re-employed by V Siviter Smith & Co Ltd and moved back to Birmingham, the city which was to be his home until his death in 1961. During the late 1920's and early 1930's Lockwood worked for two other Birmingham firms, Basil Butler & Co and Adcraft Ltd, before being offered a permanent position in the art studio of Cadbury Brothers Ltd. at Bournville.Lockwood worked at Cadbury's for 25 years where he became manages of the Sales and Advertising Studio. During the 1930's-50's, his work at the company involved the design and production of advertising for many well known Cadburys' products. He retired in 1958.